Health Benefits Of Eucalyptus Oil written by: hopewel
Did you know that a few centuries ago Eucalyptus could ony be found in Australia? Yes, that’s true as it is a native of Australia. However, this tree is now grow in almost all the continents of the world. Besides from providing food and shelter for many animals this tree is also used for medicinal purposes. The most common application of this tree as medicine is in its oil form.
The Eucalyptus oil icomes from dried and crushed leaves of the tree. Its only in this state that the leaves are able to remove the essential oils. Treatment of coughs is the most common application of eucalyptus oils is perhaps. It is used so commonly for this purpose that most over the counter cough treatment medication have it as one of their active ingredients.
No one knows exactly when it was first used for medicinal purposes but historical data shows that it could have been in use as early as the ancient world if not earlier. However, the modern eucalyptus oil as we know it was first distilled in 1788 to treat convicts and marines by a John White and Dennis Considen. Commercial production of Eucalyptus oil was to however come very many years after this first distillation.
Applications of eucalyptus oil
· Treating wounds. Due to its antiseptic properties, eucalyptus is very good for treating different types of wounds. This wounds include external injuries and also internal ulcers.
· Treating respiratory problems. Due to its many characteristics like being antibacterial and antimicrobial eucalyptus oil is used to treat many respiratory related issues including asthma. The mode of using it varies but the results are felt only a few minutes after use.
· Muscle pain. Rubbing eucalyptus on painful muscles and joints help to relieve the stress and pain. This is because this oil is analgesic and anti-inflamatory in nature.
· Diabetes. When you ingest eucalyptus oil it can help control your blood sugar level which is very helpful to people suffering from diabetes. What makes it good is its Vasolidator properties. This property increases blood circulation is the body. Poor blood circulation is one of the main problems that diabetics face.
· Air freshener. Due to its deodorant and antiseptic properties, eucalyptus makes a very good air freshener. Besides from making you home smell nice it also kills bacteria and other pathogens in the air.
· Use as a soap. If you want to smell good the rest of the day, then you should use with eucalyptus as one of the ingredients. Apart from the smell its antiseptic properties will help kill germs in your body. It also gives you a smoother skin.
Treatment of earache. earache are very common in children and about 70% of all children suffer from infection in at least one ear before their third birthday. There are medical treatments to these infections but home remedies work well if not better. Eucalyptus is probably the most common home remedy for earache. It is also a very simple remedy to apply since all you will need is a few drops of eucalyptus oil and nearly boiling water. Put a few drop of the oil in the water and cover your head with a towel. Now you can inhale the steam. This will open the Eustachian tube and hence drain the liquid from the ear